Bernadette Stephens, the new Fitness Coordinator at Birch Hill has hit the ground running. Since her arrival, she has more than doubled the number of classes being offered, and best of all, her classes are well attended by residents, who enjoy the wider variety of classes and fitness programming.
New to the fitness room are additional pieces of equipment such as a rowing machine, leg press, recumbent bicycle, step machine, and a variety of strength building equipment. Whether you wish to work at your own pace or you’re looking to improve your fitness knowledge — stop by the Fitness Room for some one-on-one instruction. Bernadette would love to help you develop a fitness routine that is right for you.
Our new expanded fitness schedule offers classes including:
- Chair Yoga This class focuses on breathing techniques to help bring awareness of our movements and reduce stress. Includes seated and standing positions with the aid of a chair, with the goal of improved flexibility, posture, and range of motion.
- Strength & Conditioning Functional exercises designed to challenge cardio, strength, and balance.
- Dance Steps This class will keep you moving, incorporating lots of your favorite dance steps accompanied on the piano by one of our talented residents.
- Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance This program uses eight forms derived from the traditional 24-form Yang-style Tai Chi, and progresses from easy to difficult. Research has shown that people who complete the program are less likely to fall and are less fearful about falling,
- Walk for Health Walking is one of the simplest and best forms of exercise! Join a beginner level group for a walk around the beautiful Birch Hill grounds. In the event of inclement weather, we will conduct the walk indoors.
- Strong Women This class utilizes ankle and hand weights as well as floor exercises to improve strength, balance, and flexibility. This format was founded by Dr. Miriam Nelson of Tufts University, author of “Strong Women Stay Young.”
Your physical fitness can be as intense, fun and/or social as you want it to be! We make it easy to stay fit.